Friday, April 11, 2008

David Weekly #14

In one week, I'll be putting the final touches on getting David ready for his trip up to Missouri. He'll finally get to see you, Amanda. He asked for you the other day, in the morning, at 7AM: call mommie, he says. I tell him that it's too early to call. I'm thinking that in the future, you should get him a phone on your plan that only calls you, so he can talk to you when he wants. He asks for you and for Colleen more often lately. I wonder what's driving that. Maybe his sense of time is sharp enough that he knows he'll be seeing you soon, but not sure about how to measure it. Maybe I'll teach him how to count the days until we go in the plane. He can count that high now. Now he'll learn how to count something slowly, over a period of days.

It's funny how he can express himself about wanting to call you...when you were first gone, he didn't ever say anything about you. Now...he can hope that you're coming home. When he hears a car door closing outside the house, he hopes it's you. But I have to say no, it's not.

We went to Toddler Time (every time I say that, it reminds me of Tara Time, because "Tara" is said like TAR - UH, ick!), and left reasonably quickly, because David did not want to sit still, and he did not want to be quiet! I think next time I'll have to make sure we get there early so that he can have time to settle in. He wanted to get a chair, didn't want to sit on the floor, wanted me to sit on his left side (which, by the way, he is getting a good grasp of 'left' and 'right') on the floor while he sat in the chair, then decided that wasn't good enough...and I was like, this isn't working, so we left.

On Sunday, he did something new: He snuggled with me. It's different than when he just sits on my lap, or has me carry him somewhere...he just curled up in my arms...We took more pictures of him...on the chair, on the couch...Out of the clear blue he asks me to take pictures of him. He loves seeing each one when I've just taken it, then he thinks of the next place he can be photographed. We took a picture of our feet together...

He also made me take pictures of his arms, and legs, and feet, but they're pictures just the same. Here's the 'arms' picture:


I love how serious he is in this picture, and the others.

Meanwhile, on the potty training front, David says he's afraid of the toilet because it roars. I wish I knew what that means, since he loves to flush it, and the little one doesn't make any noise at all. I'm able to ask if he's scared, and he says yes. He's also afraid of falling off his bed. So he's able to identify emotions! Sad, happy, scared...just amazing.

Random things:

In today's language lesson: Neets are pants, and not shorts. David likes to hide. He says, "I'm i-ing" He says only the I part of hiding, and not the d, and then the ing part. He says some things so often that I neglect to record them, or think they are notable. He likes to race! If he sees that we are both at a line in the road at the same time, he'll say, "Wace!" and we run. And then he says RWUN! Very loud little boy.

He's a big faker! He likes to pretend he's falling down, and falls, and then gets back up. He learning the art of the 'stall' for getting a bath, or bed time, or anything else that he must do that he doesn't want to...I'm pretty good at knowing what his stalling looks like, but he still tries!

David is:
# A Marine: because he says, "GO! GO! GO! GO! GO!"
# An Artist: because he likes to color
# A Chemist: because he likes to mix things, like milk and gatorade, or Crispix and Frosted Miniwheats
# A Reader: because he brings me books for me to read to him
# A Gardener: because he likes to dig with the shovel, and pull up weeds
# A Mathematician: because he can count to 15 by himself!
# An Astronomer: because he knows "sun" "moon" "planet" and "rocket ship!"
# A Lover: because he gives hugs
# A Family Member: because he knows his sissy, mommy, daddy, aunt, and cousins, and talks about them with no prompting
# A Cute Little Boy: 'nuff said

I hope you have a good week!

Rusty

No comments: