Friday, April 4, 2008

David Weekly #13

Monday night, David was trying to make sense out of Amanda and Colleen being gone. "Where mommie go?" "Where Co-een go?" I did my best to relate this information to him: They went to Missouri. But he doesn't understand the concept of Missouri. So it was a struggle. Later on I told him that mommie and Colleen have a different house. He can say everybody's names now: Man-a, Co-een, Ru-ty, Day-did.

I found some picture books that I was given, and David loves them. They are beautifully illustrated. They're the kind that have one sentence on each page. He names the things on the pages, and I read the sentence to him. We have a book that has some animals playing in the water, and the word "SPLASH!" is written in different places, and he says that and points to the word.

Remember when I said that he was good about the cars, and going in the street, and looking first? Well, scratch that. He doesn't do that anymore. I'm not totally sure why. Naturally, this means I am even more careful than I was before. I think maybe I knew that he would 'outgrow' being cautious. Sigh. He just gets excited to chase something, like a ball, or is running with his little push-car thing, and doesn't realize where the road starts...

David is developing a concept of time. "One more time" he says sometimes. Really, though, it's the concept of 'a while' that he understands. In the morning he reminds me that we are going to Dot's house in 'a big while' rather than 'a little while.' He came up with a 'big' while by himself. I traded schedules at work with someone, and I told him we were going to Dot's in little while, and he got upset, and protested: "A BIG WHILE!" So he knows 'a while' 'a little while,' and 'a big while'. I used this to describe when he's going to see his mother: in a long while. But it's going to be soon. I don't want to say 'soon' because he will just get excited, and then nothing will happen. He looks for her to come home, but I just have to say, she's not home. David's kind of an only child at this point. He knows he has a sissy, but then he doesn't really interact with her.

We went to "Toddler Time" on Wednesday, and he enjoyed it! Since this was his first time going to this, he just wanted to run around the library like we did before. Instead, I just stood and held him while the lady at the front was reading the different books. We eventually sat down, and David participated by pointing out the various transportation related items, like plane, or boat. I had to constantly re-direct his attention back to the front, and let him wander a bit. At one point they were all singing and he's saying "NO SING!" over and over. It was pretty funny. He figured it out after the next song. Then he liked the singing. :-)

Random facts about David:

David makes car noises: bee-beep! vroom! errrt (scrreech!), usually in that order, and usually loudly, though he has whispered it on occasion...He made instruments out of a spatula and a whisk, beating them together like drumsticks. He was very proud of himself for that.

When we're watching Pee-Wee, he now comments on the robot (Conky) by telling me, "A ROBOT!" shouting, of course. And he noted that Pee-Wee was sad at one point.

He's surprised me in other ways: watching TV, there were stars and planets, and he said, "manet!" (for planet), and we were outside and he sees the planes up in the sky that leave the white tracer paths behind them, and says, "A rocket ship!" He can count past 10! I was doing some gardening, and he's counting like he normally does, and I expected him to stop at 10, but then I hear ele-yen, twolf, firteen, fourteen, five-teen...he trailed off after that. I was amazed, of course!

David understands the concept of "dark"...as the sun sets, he says, "Dark!"

David got a box of Easter goodies from his mommie. He got two race-cars (Hot Wheels!), a chocolate Easter bunny, a game called Hi-Ho Cherry-O, which is a counting game (and it came with a puzzle!), some Skittles, and a Curious George puzzle. He also got a spider-man magna-doodle.

Well, that's all for now. Hope you've had a good week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that broke your heart when he was asking where mommy and sissy were. When my ex left who was in our lives for about a year and half. I told him that he went bye bye to his new house and mommy and Cam had their house. Cameron was a lil over 2 years old when he left. Once in a while Cameron sees something that reminds him of my ex like a motorcycle and he mentions my ex. it still breaks my heart. you will be amaze in the next few months on how quickly they develop. its fun to watch.

Rusty said...

Actually, when he asks for his mom and sister, it doesn't affect me that much. Not sure why. What does affect me is when David was telling me after his bath that it's his sister's turn to take her bath, and of course, she's not there. I used to be the one to give her a bath; her mother NEVER did. So that made me cry. I really miss giving her a bath, and holding her in the towel after we're done, and brushing her hair...just taking care of her.