Friday, November 7, 2008

David Weekly, #37, Election Edition

This has been a busy week. Saturday night/Sunday morning David wakes up coughing... He tells me he can't sleep, that he has to go pee, and can't. So I ask if he wants to go in the potty...and he does! Amazing! So we go sit on the potty. He was so proud of himself! And happy to get his 5 pieces of candy, which I told him he'd get in the morning. I got some cough medicine, too, which he did take like a champ. He also said he wanted to do a "web(w)eewizer"...so we turn on Charlie Brown to watch while he does this. What a good boy! He's doing all the right things to take care of himself, and letting me take care of him, too.

We did the nebulizer the next few nights after getting home from Dot's, but I gave him the full regimen of cough remedy: cough medicine, nebulizer, and vapo-rub. By Wednesday, we were done with everything. No more coughing. This was replaced by his rather sudden desire to come into my bed at 4 and 5 AM each morning. This has been okay in the past, but lately he's wanting to put his feet on me, or climb on me, or toss and turn, or make noise...no restful, peaceful sleep. And none for me, either. So we've been having some weird fights early in the morning about him either not being in my bed at all, or to lay still and sleep! Either of these rather irritated exhortations from me at way too early in the morning generate louder crying. Poor kid. I wish I knew what was causing this behavior. Ultimately, I've decided to send him back to his bed when he tries to get in mine. I need my sleep! But then he tries to stall and tells me he needs his nebulizer, or he's cold...

Monday and Tuesday I was able to get him to pee in the potty! He would volunteer that he had to go, or was about to, and we would go. And get his 5 pieces of candy. Wednesday this all stopped, and I have no idea why. Sigh. One step forward, and two steps back. We did call Amanda to tell her about how good David did the first time he did it. She was very happy, too.

Tuesday was Election Day, and I voted. I asked Dot to keep him for the almost hour it took to go, vote, and come back. Interestingly, David took the news that he'd be going to Dot's well. He's getting a lot more flexible with changes in his routine. After I picked him up from Dot's that night, he woke up, or didn't fall back asleep, since I was watching election results. By the time Obama was giving his victory speech, David had come into the living room and watched TV with me. When Obama showed up on the TV screen, David immediately knew who it was: "Barak Obama," he says. He didn't quite understand what he was witnessing, but he did sit still for a few minutes watching Obama's speech.

He surprises me from time to time. He says all kinds of things that bowl me over, and that's something I'm not good at doing: keeping track of those cute little things he says.

Wednesday afternoon we were in the back yard, and I heard him playing with language and sounds. I forget exactly what he was saying, but it was two words that began with "B" and he was saying them together just for the sound, because they didn't otherwise go together. He also likes saying "Barak O-bama." I think it's just the sound of it, and the rhythm of it, too. And he knows that Obama is the President (or will be).

Thursday was a "normal" day, school, home, Dot's...home again. He is getting used to the routine in that he's repeating it to me, over and over, actually. Just cementing it in his head.

Friday we went to the zoo after getting our hair cut. Me first, then him. He's getting better at sitting still for his hair cutting. He understands it more.

Some other details...David likes to wake me up after the sun rises, which works out to 7 AM, only because he doesn't wake up earlier. This is different than the problem I talked about above. This morning he woke me up by rubbing noses with me...I'm dead asleep and I feel this kid rubbing his nose on mine. He woke me up yesterday with "Chicka Chicka Boom BOOM!" It seems there's a book out there that A, I don't know about, B, that David seems to know quite well, and C, that he really likes. The funny thing is that you have to insert cheerleader-like motion of his arms pumping left-right for each boom he says. He got this book, and a bunch of others, from a lovely woman out in CA who sent two boxes! One had a few brand new clothing items for him, and the other had new clothes and books in it. But this one book in particular he found in the stack of books I left by his door the night that I opened the boxes (after he was asleep), and used it to wake me up. I asked him how he knew about this book before and he said that Tait read him this book. I have to wonder about the hand/arm motions, though, as this doesn't seem to be the kind of thing I see Tait doing. At random, he was telling me how his name is "TaiT" (emphasis on the final T), and not "Taip". It's also been a few months since he's been there. Maybe it was the phone call to his mom that triggered this memory, and the book, too.

So once again this nation has expressed its will in a peaceful and relatively trouble free way. Obama said that "This is our moment." And it really is. This is our moment to celebrate our nation, and our democracy, which works to some extent, in spite of its flaws. It also renews us in our hopes for the future. I watch David every day, and I think of all the things he could do or be when he grows up, as he does all the little things that a kid does. Each little thing becomes an entire career in my mind: he plays with words, or says "It's a beautiful day." This becomes writer, or weather forecaster. Separately, he figured out how to put the stool by the door to unlock it.

Fall is a time of transition, and as we watch our nation's leadership transition, I know that the challenges we all face can be met with enthusiasm, determination, and hope.

Rusty

No comments: