Thursday, October 16, 2008

Insomnia! and Spiders!

So last night was fun. I go to pick up David like normal, and he's wide awake! I get him home, like normal, put him in bed like normal...and he does not go to sleep like normal. Instead, he keeps getting out of bed, wanting to hang out with me, and this goes on for over an hour...but then, as part of him going to bed he wants to clean up his room. Talk about a delay tactic! So we're in there, cleaning up, putting things away, and a spider pops out of nowhere! And runs across the wall, really fast! I think it was a wolf spider, and it was big! So I get the bug spray, and a flashlight, because it ran behind a shelf...David was really great about the whole thing. He helped me look for the spider, but was unhappy when I wouldn't give him the flashlight, since he didn't understand how serious it was to kill the spider. I told him that I don't want to kill the spider, but in this case I had no choice. It moves too quickly for me to catch it for one thing...so I spray it, it runs, and I can't find it, but David saw it, and pointed it out, and I sprayed it again. The cool part is he didn't freak out, and he was not afraid. Of course, I acted pretty calm and cool myself, so hopefully it was him being cool all by himself, and taking some example from me.

He would not sleep in his bed, and would not sleep in my bed, and he just wanted to play! After the spider episode, he went to sleep in my room, that at some point he went back in his bed...he likes to switch back and forth once in a while. He's not overly fond of my bed, but it's nice for him to be there sometimes...though it's easier for me when he doesn't sleep in my bed.

I asked him to kiss me, you know, put your lips on my cheek, and *smack*...and he did it! Yay!!! But then he decided to kiss me on my lips. Ick. So I tell him only the cheek. I kiss him on his head, or his forehead, and he says, "NO! You're not supposed to..." He's so funny. He really makes me laugh. I can't imagine missing all of this. I'm so glad I have him here with me.

And he's reaching that point of "Why?" for everything. I ask him why and he says because...but if he asks me why, no explanation is good enough...though one time I told him, "It's academic." And that was acceptable. I was using all the $5 words I could come up with to answer his Why questions. Philosophical, tyranical...anything I could come up with...feed him vocabulary...lots of new words. He'll hear them, but so what if he has no idea of their meaning. The other thing he does is if he wants something, and I say why, he says "Because I want it"...sigh. What a great kid.

No comments: