Friday, October 17, 2008

David Weekly, #34

This has been quite an active week!

Saturday night after work, David and I went to the park, and walked along the boardwalk that follows the shore of a lake. Because David introduces randomness to my world, we met up with some people who were also walking along the boardwalk. One of the adults mentioned to me about remembering being that small where you can just weave in and out and under people who are in your way, which is what David was doing...so we struck up a conversation. When we got to the end of the boardwalk, the father (whose name is David) was telling me how there was a trail that we could follow along...since I'd never been, I asked if they minded if I tag along, and they were open to it, so off we went! It turned out to be a 45 minute walk, with me holding David most of the way. It was really wonderful, though. He enjoyed being around the other kids (7 in all, plus one other adult, and then him and me for a total of 9 people all together), and the walk was refreshing. After we got back from the walk, I introduced myself to the father's wife (oddly, I never told any of the people I was with my name...it never came up), and she said that her father-in-law's name is Russell...so by this odd coincidence, I meet a man named David, whose father is named Russell. What are the odds??

Sunday, we went to a soccer game...I'm considering joining the league, and I wanted to check it out...David of course has no interest at all in this activity...so we end up at the playground instead. It was still a good Sunday.

Monday was a doctor appointment with Dr. Sams, and he still weighs 35 pounds, and is 39 inches tall. The purpose of this appointment is to get his flu shot. We talked a bit about his eczema, since he had several different places on his body that looked like ringworm...but she told me to use the prescription hydrocortisone cream that we have, just to see if it would respond or not...and it did. The little patches went away rather quickly. Then he got his flu shot. I told him that it would hurt for just a minute then be done...so when the nurse came to give him a shot, he was a little bit afraid, and he knew it would hurt, but not over the top scared or acting too upset. He got the shot in his leg, and it hurt...later on as we were checking out he saw the nurse again and said to her, "You hurt me!" She said she was sorry, and offered him a sticker. He then demanded a sticker, but I told him to ask nicely: "May I have a sticker, please." The doctor said his speech is perfect. I asked her about potty training and she said that her own son didn't do it unitl he was three and a half, so I'm not feeling so bad. Other parents I've talked to say that boys are harder than girls, and they just have to want to do it. David does not. Dot says he goes for her, but somehow I just don't know if I believe her.

He asks why all the time now. At one point on our walk he was asking why for everything, and I was throwing out all the big words I could think of, just to expose him to them, but he accepted as an answer to why as, "Because it's academic." I really got a kick out of that...how it made him stop asking why, and he says, "Oh." Too funny.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were school days...he eats all of his lunch there at the school. Thursday, though, he at all the lunch there and then was begging me for more food when he got home! Wednesday we had a strange night after I got off work. First, he wakes up at Dot's and comes running to me (which he always does if he wakes up), but then he wouldn't go back to sleep! I usually stay up until about 1 AM or so, and he stay up with me. I tried everything I could think of to get him to go to bed, and go to sleep, but that just didn't happen! So, to help him get into a bed time rhythm, he asks me to help him clean up his room...so I'm reluctant at first, but then I agree to help...and a fairly large spider comes running across the wall! So naturally I have to kill it -- can't have a spider running around my kid's bedroom, even though it's harmless -- the cool thing is that David didn't freak out. He was very upset when I wouldn't let him hold the flashlight, though. I needed it to find the spider! However, he was a big help, since he was looking for the spider, too, and saw it before I did...he's short and small so he can see where I can't...so I got the RAID and sprayed the poor thing until it died. I told David I don't like killing spiders, but in this case, because of how fast it moved, and how big it was, I had to. At this point, David was yawning, so I put him in my bed, and he went to sleep...at about 1:30 AM...it was a long night. Then he woke me up early Thursday morning...at 7:30 or so. He's not liking how he wakes up at the same time in the mornings now, but it's still dark outside. I'm telling him not to get up until it's light outside, and that's no fun for him.

Friday was our visit to the Shriners. The appoint was 2:30, and we were there early...They took xrays of his hand, which I've attached below...he was afraid of the machine until we told him it was a camera, then it was all okay. The pictures are from my cell phone from a computer monitor. Not sure how to get the originals, but at least you have an idea...the doctor that looked at his hand was very impressed with his mobility and utility, and really said that there was no issue with it...we have another appointment for 2 years from now. Most of the questions I have aren't age appropriate, such as tying his shoes, or some social aspects, but the doctor was also liking how comfortable David is with his hand...when the doctor was leaving, he shook my hand (Dr. Hess, by the way), and David insisted that the doctor shake his hand, too. "Shakes hand!" he said. Everyone liked how not shy he is. Very expressive, very full of energy, curiosity, and willing to talk to anyone. He was talking the other kids in the waiting areas, too...he doesn't ask names, he just says, "Girl" or "Boy" when addressing them. I tell him to ask their names, and to say his...which he does. He just forgets.

So this has been a busy week. Tomorrow we go to Jesse's wedding, the girl (now 22 years old) who babysits on Saturdays is getting married...of course, David asks why...I again, get a kick out of this. So in consideration of this wedding, I hope that your life is full of bright hopes, and lots of promise.

Rusty

No comments: