Sunday, June 15, 2008

David Weekly, #21

Time out! Things that David goes into Time Out for: Hitting, kicking,
pinching, running off when we're at the store. Things I have threaten
him with Time Out to get him to do: clean up, allow me speak with
another adult when he's around, not running off when we're at the
store. Sometimes he thinks that if he puts himself into Time Out, he
won't have to do something he needs to do, like clean up. He wants to
clean up, though, if it will keep him out of bed when it's time to go
to bed. Then I have to say, no, you have to go to bed now. I can't
really put him into Time Out when it's bed time...or can I?

David has swimming lessons scheduled for July 21 - August 7 in
Missouri. This of course means that he'll be up in MO for 3 weeks
this summer. It's a bit faster, and a bit more than we had planned on
for him this first year, but it seems okay. He talks about his mom
being in Missouri, which is far away...he just spontaneously was
saying "It's too far away." But I don't know too far away for what.
David still can't quite answer "why" questions. I asked him who loves
him and he says his mommy, his sissy, Mimi, Rachel...it surprised me,
since I hadn't expected an answer at all, and he pops out with that.
One day he said of himself, "I'm smart." He really is. He said this
after he told me that he was going to put a spoon in the sink.

I tend to go on about his imagination, so here's another example of
it: he put a laundry hamper on top of him with him in it, the opening
on the floor, and he said he was in a spaceship, going into space, to
the moon, and completely unprompted by me! He must get this from
being at Dot's with the other kids, but I love how he brings it home
and tells me about it.

Our days lately are filled with "DANCE US!" and music. He wants to
just jump on my bed to the music. I have dancy (is that a word?) type
music like Madonna, with its dance beats, and some other upbeat,
happy music that he loves loves loves. And of course he wants me in
there with him, which I usually am, and he likes it when I drop him
on the bed and he bounces. It's the greatest thing! We don't spend so
much time outside anymore because of the heat and humidity. But we go
out from time to time anyway, because it's still fun. We just don't
stay long. We've gotten away from Pee-Wee (finally!) and we watch
"Happy Feet" which is great because it has music, and action, and
penguins. He just wants it on for noise, since he isn't overly
enchanted with TV. He'd rather being doing something than sitting in
front of the tube. He does participate in the activities for "Super
Why!" because it's all about letters and words, and they do
educational stuff about it. He challenges himself.

David likes messes. He does not like order. He takes things that are
orderly and "disorders" them, but I don't know why. It's a mystery!
He takes things off the shelf and throws them on the floor, even
though he's not going to play with them...

Well, this letter is short...not a whole lot going on, really.
David's growth hasn't slowed, but it just seems more matter of fact.
He's turning into a boy...except he doesn't really want to. He wants
to stay a little boy, not become a big boy...

Lastly, it's Father's Day this weekend. So Happy Father's Day to you,
Dad (my father), and to you, Frank.

No comments: