Sunday, February 28, 2010

David Weekly, V3 - 7

The hardest part about being a parent is recording all the funny things your child says. (Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating) The other morning I got a complete explanation of how Corn Pops is made, because it has vegetables and eggs and other things in it. These are the things listed on the back of the box (in the form of little pictures), with some text about good eating and being healthy. Of course, he can't read all of that, so watching him come up with a story and filling in the details was something to watch.

Thursday night David had a special brownie that I bought for him as a reward for the big improvement he's had this week. Tuesday he had another genuinely bad day, and got in big trouble. I was so mad at him! But I think it impressed upon him how serious the behavior thing is to me, since he was so much better Wednesday and Thursday. I have to give credit to the school, too, though. They've been great at dealing with him. And I know they appreciate my support of them, because one day he was not listening to one of the "teachers" at all, but I got there just as this was happening and put him in time out for not listening to the teacher. He was surprised, and sat down where I said and just cried. The next day he was listening better.

I finally got the pictures of the daycare, too. They can be viewed at http://web.me.com/rhires/Site/Photos.html You may have to copy and paste the link into your browser.

I have trouble getting him to sit still, at the table, when we eat. A lot of times I will tell him to sit back down and he says, "But I just want to give you a hug, Daddy..." In particular this is at a hamburger joint called Five Guys. We also went to "church" again. He didn't like the music very much. Also on Sunday I had a headache and told him I wasn't feeling well. He said, "I'm sorry you don't feel good." Such a sweetie. And then, like a kid in a car, "Are you feeling better, yet?" David was so full of energy that day, too. We went to the park and walked around, and played on the equipment. He really enjoyed himself. And isn't doing the "hit other kids as he runs by them" thing that he used to do. He's also getting good at "time to go!" I'll warn him a few times, then he'll get impatient with me if I don't go, even when he's having fun.

As a way to help him deal with his desire to hit other kids, I tell David about his strong brain. He really likes this. I say that he doesn't have to hit because his brain is so strong. I asked him why he hits and he says because they won't stop talking. I tell him he can just talk back, and not hit, and that his strong brain will help him not hit, and enable him to say things back to the other kids. It's a process to get him where he needs to be. As part of his reward, I let him see Avery and Jared during the week, but for this week, I let him stay the night at Rachel's, on a Friday night.

Finally, he was asking "When will I see my mom?" I say, "About 7 weeks." David says he wants to live in both places.

No comments: