Sunday, March 7, 2010

David Weekly, V3 - 8

I tell David to wake up on his own, so he doesn't get the morning shivers that happen when I wake him up. So he does, and tells me so: "I wake up on my own so I don't shiver." It has nothing to do with how warm or cold it is, but more to do with being awakened, rather than doing it yourself. This is what happens to me sometimes.

Wednesday morning he was mad because I went in to wake him up, even though he was awake, just not all the way. But no shivers.

This is why Learning Space is so great: Monday, David had a great day. So Rachel picked him up, and he got to go Avery and Jared's house. Rachel told me that he rewarded himself directly by going into her pantry and getting himself a few cookies. He reported to her that he gets treats if he's good at school. Tuesday, not a great day, so no special treats, no trip to Rachel's, or even the park. Wednesday, he had a good day. Ms. Nadine tells me she thinks that when David eats a good lunch, and then sleeps at naptime, he is much better able to stay in charge of his hands, and not lose his temper, and not hit. I have also been working with him on using his words, in particular: "Go away!" and "Leave me alone!" But he did not want to even practice saying these things with me, saying he wanted to go to school to do it, but guess what? He didn't want to practice there, either. I have to remind myself that it's a process, but we are making progress. More good days than bad days. I like that.

Another benefit of David's new daycare: he is back in dance! Ms. Nadine was successful in getting enough parents to want their kids to dance, so the Judy Bernard Dancers are back to teaching David to dance.

David wants a pet. In particular, he wants a pet pig. Why does he want a pet pig? Because they don't poop. But they do live in mud, so we have to make mud, and the way you make mud is take dirt and water and mix them together. I was told this one day recently. It was a very informative tone of voice that he gave me. And well thought out, it would seem.

So that's a week.

No comments: