Friday, February 12, 2010

David Weekly, V3 - 5

Eggs are the all-purpose, eat any time food. We have them for breakfast, or dinner, and once in a while, for lunch. David has suddenly decided that he likes fried eggs, instead of scrambled. This is quite a surprise. I haven't got the slightest idea where he would have had fried eggs to decide that he likes them. I was making him scrambled eggs, and he complained that they were fried...

David and I went to the beach on Saturday night, as part of an organized activity for Single Parents. He had a blast! It was windy and cold, but that really didn't matter. David was playing like the wind was blowing him away, and I would catch him. After it got dark, a bunch of us went to a woman's house with some of the people and their kids. He was a bit of behavior problem on this night, but it was terrible. I was a little worried given the fighting issues that he'd been having at his school. Later on, we were all sitting around a table, and a little girl was quietly pointing at his hand...

Sunday we went to a Superbowl party, and he was much better in terms of behavior. At one point he actually left the other kids inside the house and went outside to play in the sandbox. He did so well, when it was time to eat, he went with the other kids and sat and ate. Later on, he got to playing on the couch, taking turns, with the other kids. One boy was Matthew, about David's age, and I don't remember the younger boy's name.

So picking David up from his first day (really second day) at his new daycare/school, I was told that he had had a little issue in the morning. When I dropped him off, he started doing some faux karate moves, like Power Rangers. Ms. Nadine told me that he was told "we want to be your friends, and we like you, but don't fight." And he just stopped. It was that simple. And the rest of the day he was just fine. He saw a pair of identical twins, and asked them why they were alike. It was quite a puzzle to him.

And he is doing just so well at his new school! One of the problems I've always had at the old school was that I could never watch him without him seeing me or being aware that I was there. I can do that now. So I watch him, and he plays so well with the other boys. He gets along just fine. I was at the school on Wednesday morning, and he almost kicked me out of the school..."Ok, Dad, you can leave!" And he even did the "shoo" hand motion. I talked to him about not having to fight, or show off, and he said he likes that better, too. It was definitely something about the environment there, and it's clear that this change is a benefit. I regret that I forgot to take pictures this week of the new school. I will try to remember this coming week to take pictures. Ms Nadine is quite a communicator, which is another benefit of having moved David. I feel like I'm getting a much better idea of what's going on with him.

Thursday morning was a rough one for the boy. I woke him up with about 15 minutes before we needed to leave. This is not enough time to get him up and out, as I discovered. I had to wake him up, first of all. Through tears, he asked for 30 more minutes, and I said, no, we have to leave! I promised to wake him up earlier from now on, if he doesn't get up on his own. That got a big smile out of him and then we were ready to go. The new schedule is hard, since it's a change. We'll get used to it. Normally he gets to wake up on his own. Friday morning, I woke him up, and that worked out much better.

David knows how to commit to the moment: He plays at being sucked backwards and he does not stop! If I don't catch him, he really will just keep going. It's very funny to watch...

Friday night, David had a fever at school, which developed just before I got there to get him. His ears and cheeks were bright red with fever. I got him home and bundled him up. Avery and Jared and Rachel all came over, and David said (after I gave him some Children's Tylenol, which did bring his fever down) that he would always share with his cousins the candy he got for Valentine's Day. He was very happy to have received a card in the mail from Mimi. He loves to get mail in his name. So send whatever you can think of to him, whenever you might think of it.

No comments: