Friday, February 29, 2008

David's 8th Week

David went to the ice skating rink this week on Sunday for his cousin's birthday party. He did not like it when his father went skating without him. He cried and cried. He did like running around with the other kids, and he wanted a balloon, so we got him one. He calls it a 'moon.' The other thing that he really liked was the Zamboni...which he said with great gusto. Zamboni daddy! and he'd point at it. He loved that thing. Thought it was great. Zamboni zamboni! And he could say the whole word with no problem! :-D

David gives hugs now. Of course, since he doesn't pronounce the 'h' sound yet, they are 'ugck's...but it's still cute when he puts his little arms around you, and squeezes. It's curious to me that he can say certain sounds, but only in certain ways. He says "Dee", but not duck...they are still guck.

So on that note, let's play a game: Guess what color David is saying!

1. Wa-er
2.
3. po-pur
4. (r)wo-off
5. back!
6. meek
7. (w)een
8. Ursss

You may think I've forgotten #2, but when I point out an item of that color, he doesn't say a thing...so bonus points if you get #2.

Did I mention that David can say 'urts'? Yeah, when something's wrong, he can tell me that it hurts, like his knee that he skinned again the other day. I put bactine on it, and he said it hurts...and cried for a second or two. He's going to have a lot more skinned knees in the future.

There is very little about a toddler that is orderly. This includes eating. David's eating has been described by Amanda as 'grazing'...I tend to think that his eating is just chaos...however, any partially open door (like a cabinet door) is met with repeated "cose door!" demands. David has a strong sense of order. His eating, however, does not figure into this sense of order...I've figured out his eating dinner issue: he eats late since I think that Dot is feeding him so well that he's not hungry when we get home. So I've changed dinner time to 7:30 or so, and I'm letting him stay up until 9:00, because he doesn't go to sleep right away, so why not try to work with that. I think he's inhereted his mother's ability not to sleep a lot.

Because of his reading of the Baby Animals book, he's seeing mommies and babies all over the place. He'll point in the store, loudly, at a baby and then that child's mother. "Baby! And mommy!" Other things bring up this concept to him as well. We were at the neighbor's house, and they have a big screen TV and a regular 19 inch set. He said the small one was the baby, and the big one was the mommy. Meanwhile, I'm beginning to pronounce things in the animal book in French. He used to protest, but now he is beginning to accept French names for things when I read them to him, instead of protesting…

David likes to play this game: He says, "Huh?" Then he answers himself by saying, "oh." And then he gets me to say Huh? then he repeats it, Huh? And then he says "oh"...and then I say it...It's a great little game.

David has decided that not only is it okay that I sing, but especially when I sing "The Witch Doctor." In fact, it's the only song I'm allowed to sing. He even asks me to sing it sometimes, by saying "oo-oo-oo--aa-aa-aa--ee-ee-ee", and then, SING!!!!

Our morning routine has changed some, lately... now I get up and while I'm getting a shower he will come in and brush his teeth! I have to remind him to close the door, but he does, and then will brush his teeth.




ANSWERS:
1. Yellow
2. Blue
3. Purple
4. Red
5. Black
6. Pink
7. Green
8. Orange -- already this has changed. It sounds more and more like "orange" than urss...it happened over this week...

A lot has happened this week. I even think I got most of it.

I hope you've had a good week!

No comments: