Friday, April 17, 2009

David Weekly, #57

David had a good Easter, and got lots of candy from the Easter Bunny, including a new outfit and a photo w/ the EB. It's very cute! He went looking for eggs while shouting "Egg Hunt! Egg Hunt!" And unlike last year, didn't complain about the smaller number of eggs he got, compared to Avery and Jared, his two cousins. The eggs were the plastic variety, with chocolates and jelly beans in them. David likes to throw the empty plastic eggs around...they're light, easy to throw, and don't break anything...but he does not like hard boiled eggs. I find this out because I gave him one to eat that night, and he takes a bite and then spits it all out all over everywhere. Coloring the eggs was okay.

Saturday night he colored eggs with his cousins, and that was fun. He got in some quality time w/ Mimi (my mother), and it was constructive. He also has begun to play fight with Jared, and it's working out better and better. Jared is understanding how much of an advantage he has against David when they play, but he's learning how to temper that a little bit, which is a better thing for David. They now play more fairly, and both have more fun.

Tuesday morning he got upset because it got darker outside because of the weather. Normally, the day gets lighter and brighter, so when it started going the other way, he was not happy! He knew it was still morning time, but the darkness of the clouds really threw him off. We had a pretty severe storm, but did not lose power. We lost power a week or two ago, for about an hour during the day. So when the rain and wind really hit, he was worried about us not having power. David's not a fan of not having power. Of course, neither am I, but we played outside on the day w/ no power, and he barely noticed. Otherwise, it rained a good portion of Tuesday, so we stayed inside, or went outside under the carport, and watched the rain. David, being a 3 year old, tempts fate by wanting to go in the rain. I say no, of course. It's lightning! So we had to go in.

The other day, were hanging out, listening to some music, and I'm drumming on him, because we're listening to a song with a good beat. He doesn't like it that much, so he tells me to stop, but I don't. Not right away, at least. He says, "Are you a buddy?" (that's the name he has for his blanket) I say, "No.' And he says, "Then I'm not a drum." That kid cracks me up!

David has some Mardi Gras beads that he was telling me he wants to turn into a snake. So he throws them to the end of the driveway and tells me, "Look, daddy, a snake!"

A tidbit for you: David is now signed up for VPK - Voluntary Pre Kindergarten. He'll be starting in the fall, at Gabrielle's Glen. My sister Rachel is trying to get me to put him in Montessori, but I'm not sure if I should do that. One obstacle for me is the cost. I haven't really discussed it w/ Amanda, either. So we'll see what happens.

Among David's concerns: Word World. He's been asking me for a couple of weeks to get a new Word World DVD, so I finally got one for him. Not sure how many there are, but he's got 4 now. He loves those DVDs! And his watching of them over and over is teaching him the words, and the sounds that go with them. Lately he spells p - l - a - y and tells me it says "play". :-) He's also concerned with where I park my car at his school. It's got to be in certain spot. If it's not, I'm greeted with complaints, and a disappointed tone in his voice: "You're supposed to park it there..." If I park in the right spot, I get, "Yay!" from him...

David today asked me to go to the grocery store. I said, "What are you wanting to get?" He says, "I don't know, we'll find out when we get there!" And then when we're in the store, he says he wants me to get oatmeal. I say, "When's the last time you ate oatmeal?" His reply: "I like oatmeal."

Thursday at the park we were playing with the frisbee. Another little boy who's 5 comes up to play, and David attempts to show this other child how to throw the frisbee. It was quite funny. "Like dis!" he'd say, then fling!

David says, "Pretty please!" When he wants something really bad. He also tells me he has to do his exercises sometimes, but what he does is odd: he takes the rake and holds it over his head, then lets it fall to the ground, and does this over and over again. He does other things that he calls his "exercises", but this particular thing I thought was notable.

Today, on Friday, I took him to an outdoor concert at Lowry Park (this is the same place as the zoo) with a friend of mine, and her daughter. We had fun. He wasn't so interested in the music as he was the bubbles. But we did get a chance to play, and enjoy the atmosphere, and hang out. Earlier in the day we went to another park, where he met a boy about his age, and this child had some cars, from the movie Cars. And David actually shared them very well with this other boy! It was amazing! They would go back and forth rolling the cars down the slide. I was very happy with this.

So that's another week...I hope you share things well, too.

Rusty

No comments: