Saturday, April 4, 2009

David Weekly, #55

David loves to dance. When we were at my friend's house, there was some music on, and he just danced! He wiggled his whole body, and moved around with joy and abandon. And he asks me to watch him dance at a different points, as well. He also wanted me to come dance with him, but we know how I can't dance, or even move well to the music...

So I'm filling out the questionaire for David's allergy appt, and it asks, "What are your hobbies?" So I put for David: playing with cars, watching TV, going to parks. And "What is your occupation?" Answer: 3 year old kid. "Average number of hours of sleep per day:" 12. "What exercise and how many hours per day:" running around...But going to the doctor was a different experience than I expected. He had a scratch test. Now, the scratches they recommend we do on his back, but David did not want to have his shirt off. He objected to that loudly, and cried. So we put the shirt back on him, and decided that his forearm was the best place. So the nurse comes in and writes 21 different letter/number combinations on his forearm, then puts the 21 dots of allergens in fluid form on him, the proceeds to prick him on each of those dots. This last part, of course, David hated. And he cried, and said how it hurt...poor kid. And we have to wait 15 minutes for the
thing to work. The doctor comes in and says, "He's allergic to the outside world, basically." So that means trees and grass...but I still don't get why it's only in the early spring he has a problem here. He's not allergic to cats, by the way. The doctor gave us three medicines to try. I'm noticing that the second one, Allergra, is loosening his bowels a bit too much, since he has to go potty about 5 times a day for that. So that's not going to work. The first one we tried was Xyzal. I like this one because it's a once-a-day medicine. The last is a chewable tablet for Singulair...which he'll do tomorrow. Each medicine is supposed to be given for two days each...and if it doesn't work, or gives some kind of side effect, just toss it. So we'll see how it goes.

David's becoming very self chatty lately. I put him to bed Sunday night, and he talked to himself loudly for a while. Except that things he was saying sounded more like a parrot imitating a person, which is what I think he was doing. Not sure who he hears talking that way, but it was something else to hear.

David's a planner...going through what's going to happen in the day or days ahead...and this is where I can see that he misses his mom, because he goes through his day, making a list of things he's going to do: Go to school, come home, go the park, go to Missouri, go to Dot's...

David tells me that his favorite color is red. Just so you know.

Another thing I'm noticing is that David is playing very rough lately. He's using all of his strength, moving faster, hitting harder. And he loves doing it! He has so much fun. And he does it longer, too. We wrestle around on the couch, or on the floor of the living room. And it's always with laughter and playfulness that we're doing this.

I just got quizzed on what the three little pigs are, and David knows it's straw, sticks, and bricks. I said the wrong thing at one point, and he corrected me. Funny how that works.

This morning, we woke up and there was no power. At some point he said that we need more/bigger batteries to make the power come back. We played in the semi-dark of morning overcast rain, with him writing his name, figuring out still how to make all the letters, writing his name. Eventually we went outside, and he was playing on this car, like it was a skateboard, and I told him he's going to get hurt, but allowed him to play anyway, to demonstrate to him that I'm right: sure enough, he fell and skinned his knee. Not a lot, but enough that it bled and he got upset. We put bactine on it, which he hates, and then a band-aid...He said he was surprised when I asked him if he's surprised that he got hurt. I explained that if he listens to me, he won't get hurt...not totally sure if that took, though.

So this is enough for a week, right? I hope so. I always wish I could remember more to tell you.

Have a good week...

No comments: