Friday, April 10, 2009

David Weekly, #56

took David to his daycare this morning, and he tells a little girl there that he has a skinned knee, after she tells him that she has some kind of sore, or wound on her leg from something that happened over the weekend. Later on, after i go to pick him up, he tells me that a boy in his class hurt himself somehow, and how David "take care of him". He asks me, "are you happy?" That he took care of that other boy. "Yes, very much!" I said.

At the park today, David was telling the kids to "move your butt!" when they were in his way going down the slide. And they were complaining about what he was saying! These kids must have been at least 10 or 11 years old, and they were complaining. I thought it was funny. I was telling them, "Well, you better move your butt, then." The problem is that they were going down the slide, only about a halfway, and he was wanting to go down all the way, like you're supposed to. He was actually being pretty good about them being older kids. They just didn't know how to handle a smaller kid like David telling them what to do. I yelled at one kid for being difficult, because he really was objecting to David, and I said, "He's a really nice kid, and if you're nice, so's he; but you're not being nice." That solved it. These kids are from some kind of camp over Spring Break, so they were all over the place. I think he did well.

David can blow bubbles on his own now. Once he discovered this, he took the bubbles from me and was blowing them all over the place! He especially wanted to blow them under the car, which I thought was pretty funny.

We went to the bumpy slide park, and played with some of the other kids who were off for Spring Break. Whenever we go to this park, David says he doesn't like it when there's no other kids there. He's so good at making friends!

Today, David figured out the concept of "Opportunity Cost" but in a small way: he said we could see the small fish, and the big fish, but not if we played on the play equipment they have at the zoo. I've told him that on various occasions. "We can't do everything." He now seems to get it, because it was part of his planning for the next time we go the zoo. Yeah, he's planning his trips now, out loud.

A language note: he calls the gutter the "side-road", which is where I'm supposed to walk if there's no cars. This is when we go to Dot's. He calls the handle of his big-car a "push"...and he made up another term for something, but I can't remember what, that was a simple compound word, and had a regular word that we normally use. It's good he can invent words when he needs to, but other times if he doesn't have the word, he just skips it. And of course, we still have "gold juice" aka, orange juice.

Friday night we played and played and played, he and I, and the neighbor boy across the street, who is 7. For a while, they threw paper airplanes. Then the other boy, Adan, got a football to throw around with me. David of course, got jealous. I told Adan that we have to include David. David, for his part, didn't want to take turns. He wanted every turn for himself. And would cry every time Adan or I would throw the ball to each other, rather than to David.

Lastly, I think for his allergies, I've settled on the Xyzal, since it does the job, and no side effects. Our next appt w/ the allergist is still 20 days away, but who's counting.

Have a good week!

Rusty

No comments: