Friday, September 11, 2009

David Weekly, #66

So I'm going to meet my sister somewhere. I'm on the phone with her in the car, and David overhears this conversation, and says, "Step on it, so we can beat her there!"

David has reached the age where there is now the question of Authority. David was telling me something about farts (also the age of potty humor, oh boy!). I asked him where he heard that, and he said, "Tyler." I'm like, "but that's not right!" David's reply? "But Tyler said it!" So daddy is not right, but David's 4 year old school companion is...

This week has been better for David when it comes to going to school. He is less clingy, but at the same time, he hates going. He says, "Do I have to go today?" And of course I answer, "Yes." And he gets upset. He tries to make a deal with me not to go, but there's just no deal good enough. I tell him he can't stay home by himself. He says ok. He came home from school with some papers, and when asked how he feels, he says, "Happy, because I play with my cousins and with my toys."

David's also discovered another dinosaur video game, but it's a bit more age appropriate, and is specifically educational, and it features the "Land Before Time" dinosaurs. And he would play it all night if I let him.

The other day we were at the park, and there's platform that has 4 different slides. On one side of the platform, it has 3 steps up, and the other side has 2. I never noticed this before, but David says for me to go on the 3 step side and he'll go on the two step side. It's amazing how he can just "know" that kind of detail. But he does. David loves the swings, too. But I'm not allowed to push him too high. He especially likes it if I spin him in it.

And he likes to spell words with his hands, but only when he decides to do it. I can't prompt him or ask him to do it. No idea why...Speaking of spelling, as I read books to David at night, I'm getting him to recognize words based on their sounds, or where they are in the sentence, or from a list of the 100 sight words that I have in my head, except I don't know all 100, but easy ones like "the" or "I" or "a" ... and other words that are repeated over and over, like in the Gingerbread man book, it says the word "rest" at the end. So David is learning how to read. We went to the grocery store, and he wanted the chocolate chip cookie dough. Then he pointed it out very specifically. I asked him how he knew, and he points to the word "chocolate," saying, "That's how I know."

So David is becoming a reader, and growing (he asks why he's growing, and I just tell him because it's what he's supposed to do). His week got better, so I hope yours did, too.

Have a great next week.

No comments: