Saturday, September 5, 2009

David Weekly, #65

Another week has gone by...

Now that I'm on my regular schedule, this is a typical day: Wake up at 7 AM or so, take a shower. Some days, David will come in the bathroom and lay on the floor, waking up; other days he won't wake up until I get him, or I'll find him playing quietly. Lately he's almost completely figured out how to use the VCR, pushing the "triangle" (for play) or the "square" (for stop/eject), and even the rewind button. The rewind button doesn't have a name. Once in a while, he forgets to stop the tape first, and rewinds it first. This causes great upset on his part. So I have to remind him to stop it first, then rewind it. That usually makes him happy. He watches the same Blue's Clues shows over and over, but now at least he has a greater variety since Cinnamon gave us 3 more tapes. He also knows how to tell if the tape needs to be rewound or not.

So anyway, I get dressed and then he gets dressed and he always wants cereal for breakfast: Lucky Charms. He watches Blue's Clues, and forgets to take bites, but I remind him (a lot! "Take a bite, David!") He asks me every day if he's going to school, and I tell him that he is, and he gets upset. Not totally sure why he gets upset, when he didn't used to before...maybe it's the every day nature of it? He wears read every day. He has 5 or 6 red shirts, and they make the rotation for the week. It's hard to get him to wear anything else. This morning (Saturday) he got himself completely dressed before I even got out of bed! It's very important that he wear the Cars underwear (to him, at least), but this morning he put them on backwards. After he dressed himself this morning he asked me if we're going to school and I told him no, which made him happy. He got a big smile and gave me a big hug. Every morning he gets his 2.5 ml of his Xyzal (allergy medication). Every night he gets his aderax (not sure of the spelling here) before bed. He does not like it, because it's sour. 6 ml of that each night.

We then go to school (5 days a week). He puts his "buddy" in his cubbie, and some days he clings to me, and other days he goes off and plays. I'm doing my best to keep a steady routine for him, which I know makes it easier because that way there's no surprises. I pick him up between 5:15 and 5:30, and we go home, have dinner, and play outside. I give him a bath, brush his teeth, put lotion on him, read to him a few stories, and sing to him, say our little prayer (now I lay me down to sleep -- and then go through the list of people that love him, his mommy and sissy are always first on that list), and he then lays in bed for a while, not sleeping. Usually he'll get out of bed, ask to go potty, then he goes to sleep. This is by 8:30 - 9:00.

The other day when I went to pick him up, he was all hot and sweaty. He sees me, and the first thing he says is, "Let's go home so I can take a bath!"

He loves playing Nanosaur. Any kind of drumming sound, or sound of movement (such as the sound of a little bit of gatorade in the bottle) is "music" to him. He'll make the sound, then tell me he's "making music."

On Tuesday, David and I went to the store to buy his school supplies: glue, colored pencils, crayons, construction paper, and a bunch of other stuff. I stopped to get some shampoo for myself, and David saw the bubble bath. In the form of Lighting McQueen. The wheels even roll, so it'll actually be a great toy even when it's empty. So I hope that the marketing guy/woman got a great pay raise for that, because I was absolutely bowled over by David making the case for me to get that for him. In the checkout line, David saw a lollipop that he wanted, and reached out of the cart to get one even after I had told him no. He was very upset! "But I want it!!!" he cried. Poor kid.

Wednesday night Cinnamon came over to have dinner with us, which was nice. David likes having her around, but because of the school year being in full swing, we don't see her as much.

Thursday night Jared and Avery spent the night with us, which was great! David had a lot of fun trying to wrestle with Jared, and I told David (much to his distress) that he's not allowed to try to take or play with everything that Jared has or plays with. They played hide and seek, and when they weren't doing that, Jared showed a lot of restraint with David trying to ... whatever it is David was doing (climbing all over Jared?) ... and Jared would just gently remove David from his body. Jared was often just sitting watching TV, and David was causing him a problem. Sometimes I'd let Jared handle it, and other times I'd put David in time out. At bed time, Avery and Jared both read books to David, which was great, and really sweet. David loved it as much as they did. Jared slept in Colleen's old room, and Avery slept on the top bunk. It was, overall, a wonderful evening. In the morning I took everyone to school. Friday night David was asking to get them from their school again...

On Friday, David got his flu shot. I level with him about that kind of thing. I told him we're going to the doctor's for the shot. He says, "I don't want to go, because they'll hurt me!" I tell him that yes, it will hurt, but it keeps him from getting really super sick. He was very unhappy, of course, but interestingly, he says, "Only one shot." I said, "Yes, only one." This made him feel better somehow, maybe because he had some kind of control. We then went to the zoo. David recovers from his shot remarkably quickly, usually within minutes. He gets a Cars sticker, and after the shot we went to the zoo, which we haven't been to in a while. We saw the koalas, which is a new exhibit they have. We did all the normal things at the zoo, like see the elephants, and the manatees.

Finally, David sounds out words now. He says, "P - P - P play" or today, he said, "Sh - sh - that's the "h" sound." I corrected this, and said, "Sh - sh is the s-h sound..." He interrupts me, "Like sh-sh-shark?" He's so smart.

Hope you've had a good week.

No comments: