Saturday, June 27, 2009

David Weekly, #63

David loves to bug his cousins. He pokes them, wants their stuff...but only when they have it, or are trying to use it or play with it. I know this is something most kids his age do, but it's still worth remarking on. Shows (I hope) some growth and development on his part.

David's into measuring things. He'll take the tape measure and open it as much as his arm span, and tell me that a certain item is 54 long, or whatever. He just makes up the number. He can count to 100 w/ some help. What he does is count up to about 39 but then resets somewhere along the line, so I just prompt him for each "tens" spot, 40, 50, 60, etc. I forget where we were walking, but he was going through the numbers, just counting away.

Have I mentioned that he's smart? He wants to wait for the ice cream truck, which is nowhere in sight, or earshot. I told him we'll hear it when it gets close, so he doesn't have to wait in the heat. He asked me what the heat is, and I told him. He then says, "Well, I'll wait in the shade then."

Spending more time at Cinnamon's condo, David has been (mis)informed that Santa Claus lives here, in this group of 6 beach condos. What had happened is that the man that runs the place is certainly big and jolly, and is growing out his very white beard so he can play Santa Claus at Christmas for his grandkids. Every so often, he checks in with me, "Does Santa Claus live here?" I just say yes, it's his summer home.

David's birthday party is Saturday, at Dinosaur world. He says he is so excited! He's also happy that there's going to be lots of dinosaurs, but he was telling me that he wants to make sure they can't get him. I reassured him that he'll be just fine. He asked me for red cake for his party. And speaking of red, I'm beginning to notice that the only shirts he wants to wear anymore are all red! I was going through his laundry the other day, and that's when it hit me: red shirt, red shirt, red shirt w/ a lizard on it (the 'lizard shirt') and so on. This kid is going to take on the world!

Once again, I'm seeing that this weekly update is short. He had his last day at Dot's, and when he comes back he will be somewhere new for daycare/night care. Our routine will have changed. And he begins VPK at the end of August. It's been a good summer so far, with us spending time at the beach, time at my sister's (his cousins') house, time with Mimi, and now, time with his mom. Cinnamon takes very good care of him, to the degree that after they interact, he tells me how much he misses his mommy. I tell him that no one can replace her, that his mommy will always be his mommy. He seemed to be comforted by that. He leaves on Sunday morning, bright and early, at 9 AM is the flight. He wants time to go that much more quickly, wanting his party to be Friday so he can go see his mom Saturday...

Rusty

No comments: