Friday, May 8, 2009

David Weekly, #60

I told David that he's going to see his mother next week, and it's been hard on him. He really wants to see her. He's desparately trying to figure out what "a week" means, and learn the days of the week so he can figure out when he's going to see his mom. He also cries every time I tell him he's not going to see her today. And this is a couple of times a day, when he asks. Monday night/Tuesday morning he asked me at 2 AM if he's going to see her. He'll be going to see her Sunday night, when I drop him off w/ Matt and Virginia, and they're leaving Monday morning, early. David says he'd rather fly, than drive. I know we'll do that next time, just have to figure out the exact timing on that. Have to wait for my vacation time to be approved, since I'm thinking June 30/July 1 would be ideal for sending him up there.

Saturday we went to Mimi's, and hung out there for a while. While there, I mentioned that I have a new work schedule (which is only slightly different than the current one), and that I no longer will be working on Saturdays. So I told my mom that I plan on using Saturdays to enroll David in some kind of dance class, because he likes it so much. When he heard me say this, he told me he wanted to dance! So we played some disco music that my mom has, and ran around and he danced, and had a good ol' time, movin' to the music. Later on I asked him if he wanted to learn how to dance, and he said yes, though I'm concerned he would have said yes if I had asked him if he wanted to eat snakes or something.

A couple of funny bits about his language: he says "I may have found ..." whatever he's looking for, or if he just happens upon something interesting..."I may have found the remote!" One of the ways he protests something is to say "La La LA! " So if I say, "you need to clean up," he'll say, "La La La!" And then get sent to Time Out since he's not doing what I asked.

Cinnamon (my girlfriend) gave David the "Hungry Hungry Hippos" game and he makes me play it with him, but he also put the balls in the wells in different combinations, and makes me count them. Sometimes it's 3, 3, 5, 4, or 1, 5, 5, 4...or whatever he can think up. Thursday morning he put the balls on the carpet in a sort of line, and he asked me what animal it was. I said, "Snake!" and he says, "No! It's something else!" I could not figure it out, so he tells me it was a "Catepillar!" We got the game on Sunday afternoon, then went to Rachel's house, so he could play with his cousins. They had a grand and wonderful time. When we got home, David actually volunteered to take a bath! I couldn't believe it. I was so surprised.

Last week, we got the DVD for the movie Cars. We've been watching it non-stop since then, too. Interestingly, he found the story book of the movie, so as the movie plays, he has me read the appropriate section of the book to him...

And here's a couple of other tid-bits:

We were playing on Thursday afternoon, and as he was running around, he would say "I have to use my awesome powers!" to do whatever. He's so funny.

At another point, he turned off the TV, and said, "I need to tell you something. Then, "I'm sorry." I don't know for what, though. It was amazingly sincere, too. I'm puzzling over it, because it came out of the blue the way it did, and because I don't know why he said it.

David also knows how to work my web cam, so he has begun to take pictures of himself...What I like about these pictures is that he has to go up to the computer, push the button (in my case, it's the track-pad), and it counts down from 3 before the picture snaps, by which time he's back at the refrigerator door, in a pose. Each of these poses is after he follows this process, yet they look like they were done in a quick series, rather than 15 - 30 seconds apart, with lots of back and forth in-between. I'm in the background, just off camera, doing the dishes. I wasn't fully aware that he was doing this, either.

Friday we went to the park, then did some shopping with a friend of mine, Tracy and her husband, at the bookstore. He was so excited to show her how he could jump! As tall as the trees, he says. He is spending the night with his cousins tonight, since Jesse (his regular Saturday sitter), is going to Disney World w/ her sister for their birthday. My new schedule begins in June.

So that's another exciting week!

Rusty

No comments: