Friday, May 1, 2009

David Weekly, #59

It's been windy for the past couple of days/weeks, and David's been bugging me that he wants to fly a kite, so on Saturday, we flew the kite. The thing is, it was really windy that day. Jesse and Shawn (her nephew, he's about a year younger than David) came with us to the park, to do the kite flying thing. Unfortunatly, the kite actually flew away because I let David hold it, and the string ran all the way out, and it was gone! Did I mention that the wind was really strong? When we were on our way to the park, David was trying to read "Chicka Chicka Boom Boom" to Shawn. It's good that Jesse has Shawn on most of the Saturdays she keeps David. It works out for all three of them.

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning...I get to Dot's at the usual time, 11:20 PM, to pick up the boy. He's asleep. Dot tells me that he woke up before I got there screaming for his daddy... For me, in the middle of the night, he wakes up, screaming for gold juice (orange juice). I gave him some water instead. I was surprised by the intensity of this request of his, because he really wanted it! This is new behavior...not sure what brought it on, or why...in the morning, he tells me he had a dream about his mommy and sissy and daddy and school. I wasn't able to get a lot of details out of him.

Wednesday we went to the park, after school. He ingratiated himself with some kids who were playing with sidewalk chalk, and had a blast playing with them, and drawing on the sidewalk. It's amazing how people are generous to a small child. Even more amazing is that he was offered an apple, which I told him it was okay to accept, from another small child, maybe a year older than him. He also met this child at the playground.

Thursday was our trip to the allergist, and I told the allergist that everything is great. I'll be getting a prescription for the Xyzal, and sending some up to Amanda for when David goes up there. The doctor says that Zyrtec is a less concentrated form of the Xyzal. And that he can take it every day, and it won't hurt anything. I don't need to give it to him here. At least, not anymore. But I'm sure he'll need it up there in MO.

David refers to where his mom and sissy live as "The Missouri." "Daddy, mommy and sissy live at the Missouri."

Friday morning, I had to go to work. I usually have Fridays off, but I had traded schedules with someone at my job. The reason that this is important is that I had to take David back to Dot's, which he was not happy about. Breaking of the routine, for sure. He says he'd rather go to "school" (his preschool) than Dot's, even though there are other children there.

Friday night we went the Pier 60 park, which is at Pier 60, at Clearwater Beach, at the end of State Road 60, at the Gulf of Mexico, at the beach! David and I went with my girlfriend, and her two kids. We had a wonderful time. David loved playing in the sand. At the park is some playground equipment, which he loved playing on. We did some other stuff, too, like play in the water (without getting too wet), and wandered around on the Pier itself, looking at the vendors' stuff for sale, and even went to the end of Pier after the sun had set. David was not at all interested in the sunset, but he was already so excited and happy! He didn't want to leave of course. On the way home he never did fall asleep. He was wired. He also found a large, circular shaped leaf that he kept, and used it as an excuse to get close to the water. We were at the beach, after all. So it was a good excuse. If not for him, we would have stayed away from the water. It was important to him that he get the leaf wet, to wash it off. We lost the leaf somewhere along the line, though the intention had been to keep it.

David's beginning to ask for specific things now. First, it's important to note that he thinks that there are stores for individual things, like the milk store, or the underwear store. In some cases, this is true, such as the shoe store. In other cases, the milk store is the 7 - 11. He was able to recognize the grocery store truck, too, which I liked. Smart kid! He says, "That's the gro-she store truck, right?"

He woke up the other morning, at about 5 AM, asking to go to the potty. It turned out to be a stressful event, since I thought he might be constipated, but it was the reverse! He was worried about staining his underwear, and was adamant that I put on clean ones after he was done. Very insistent. After he got his clean underwear (insert Bill Cosby joke about clean underwear), he was able to go back to sleep.

Lastly, David will be going to see Amanda on May 11. I'll have to work out the details with Matt and Viriginia, as they are the ones who will be bringing him up there, and returning him on June 4. He'll be going back to Missouri at the very beginning of July (either the 1st or the 2nd), and staying the whole month of July. Mark your calendars!

Have a good week.

Rusty

No comments: