Friday, January 29, 2010

David Weekly, V3 - 3

David says he switched his mind, and learned that "Race" doesn't have an "S" in it. I spelled "road race" for him (while he typed), and he says, "It doesn't have an "S" in it." I told him that the "ce" makes the "S" sound. No argument there from him, since he usually argues with me when he asks me something, I'll tell him, then he'll say, "no it's not."

Having conversation with David about being strong. He is very interested in being physically strong like the boys at school he plays with. I told him that he can be "strong" in other ways, like learning how to read. I think he bought it. He complained that it's hard, but I told him that's what make him stronger...Every day I get a report about what's going on with the boys at David's school. I'm getting more and more reports that go like this: "I didn't fight John Robert today." This always gets praise. He tells me he fights the other boys, but I'm not sure how much of this "fighting" is real, versus how much is pretend fighting. Based on the reports I get from his school, there's probably lots of "pretend-real fighting." I think it's just boys being boys. I'm working to channel that activity, limit it, etc. That's why David's proud of himself, because I'm telling him he's got to stop, and he's doing it. It's a slow process for sure.

David tells me that the kids at school call his hand "crab fingers." He's not a fan of that, but seems to take ok. That's what he tells me, at any rate, by just saying he was born with that...

In the realm of "what David does right," we have: he picks up the trash from Reese's peanut butter cups after he opens one and eats it. He's reading more of the words in the books, and it other places, too. For example, he was reading "Nick Jr." on the Blue's Clues DVD case, and read the "Nick" part, but couldn't find the "Jr." part. He says, "Where the 'Junior?'" I tell him it's the two letters. He gets it! He also plays with language: "It's 'Jr Nick!'" he says.

Saturday he went to the Gasparilla children's parade with Jesse, and got lots of beads.

Sunday we went to Rachel's house and made a volcano! It was Jared's science project, but David got to watch. He thought it was pretty exciting.

We've got our routine in the morning: David wakes up on his own, and shuffles out, slowly, to the kitchen where I am, on the computer. The reason he shuffles along is that he has his blanket over his eyes, and as he comes closer, he slowly moves closer to me, and occasionally will hit the little table next to the desk. Then he simply moves, and proceeds forward towards me, then curls himself up in my lap, and we sit and listen to music for a while. Then it's time for cereal, or eggs and toast, or a waffle. I try to convince him to eat peanut butter and preserves on the waffles. He usually goes for it. Once in a while he just wants butter and syrup.

Computer - David loves playing Diego on Nick Jr. He loves the "silly things" game. It's very entertaining to him, and makes him laugh.

"How many time until I can see my mommy?" "About 10 weeks," I reply. "Why are you asking?" "Because when people are far away, I miss them." He was also telling me that "the Missouri has lots of different kinds of food. Like Chinese food." Then he says, "Why don't we go out that often?" I tell him it's because he doesn't behave very well at the restaurant when we go. He thinks about this for a minute then says, "I'll try to do better next time."

Finally, it's been so much warmer here this week, that today we were able to go to school with no jacket on. David did want to wear two shirts though, so that made it easier to justify not having the jacket. It's still cool in the mornings, but even this morning it wasn't that cool...nowhere close to warm, though.

I hope you're staying warm where-ever you are.

No comments: