Friday, November 12, 2010

David Weekly, V3 - 33

Acorns fall from the oak tree, and carpet the driveway. David asks me why we get home from Tae Kwondo at night, and I tell him it's because the time changed. In the mornings, he wakes up at 6:30 or so, because that's about sunrise, no matter what time he goes to bed. I pick him up from Tae Kwondo about 5:30 each night, except for Tuesdays. I have a class that night that I must attend, so he goes with Rachel.

His behavior this week: Almost all green. He got into a fight on Wednesday at Tae Kwondo, and even though he got a green at kindergarten, I made him put orange for the day, because he wasn't good all day. He was very upset about that, and really cried. What did he get into a fight about? At the Tae Kwondo place, he has to put his backpack and lunchbox in a cubbie, but it falls out. So two other children (more advanced, and older) were teasing him in some way, probably playing keep-away. He fought them to get it back. It was good to hear that he wasn't the only one punished. I told him that he needs to take better care of his things to keep that from happening again, and that he needs to involve an adult. Enough repetitions will make this get through to him, right?

I told David that I will take him to an art festival on Saturday, and he said he'd rather go to school so he can learn things. I told him that he learns all kinds of things not in school, like how to talk, and all about dinosaurs. I said that he can learn by going to see art, to see what people are trying to say through pictures. And by practicing what he's learned by doing homework. He still hates his homework, and I don't see that changing. I did realize that I really have to work with him to get him motivated to practice and do things. But it feels right, and he seems to like it, too.

Another thing I told David is that next week, I'm going on a big boat, but that he's staying home. I've got a schedule all worked out: Monday, I take him to school. Monday night and Tuesday night, Rachel will pick him up, and drop him off at school Tuesday morning and Wednesday morning. Jesse will then pick him up Wednesday night and Thursday night, and drop him off at at school Thursday morning and Friday morning. And then Mimi will pick him up Friday night. I will be back on Saturday, and pick him up from Mimi on Saturday afternoon. David is upset that he won't be going with me. I told him that I need for him to be a bit more mature, and to be able to handle himself better before I can take him somewhere like that. Ms. Perez was telling me that part of the way he introduces himself to others is to "throw his weight around" by being physical with the other kids.

Finally, David got his report card with just behavior, and at the same time, he received an award for Perfect Attendance, and Good Citizenship. The Good Citizenship is a bit of a suprise, but according to the notice I got, he has no "behavior indicators." I have no idea what that exactly means, but it's a good thing, and I'll take it.

So there ya have it. A very pedestrian week. Hope yours is uneventful in all the good ways.

No comments: